Monday, March 11, 2013

10 Steps to Counter Sensitive Skin Prone to Redness & Blemishes

For the record, currently I have dry, sensitive skin prone to redness. I used to have flawless healthy supple skin that didn't require any makeup up to the age of 20.

I was first introduced to the world of skincare & makeup when I first arrived in Seoul 6 years ago in late 2006. My fellow exchange school mate & room mate was this tall, model-esque Singaporean Chinese girl who was always looking perfectly radiant and stunning both in terms of her makeup and fashion sense. I brought some light moisturizer with me to Seoul, however that was less than enough to save my skin from the merciless summer sun and before recovering from the heat, my skin started to peel in the drier fall/winter weather. Needless to say, I turned to her for skincare advice when my skin started to peel.

I literally bought the exact same skincare products she used. They worked for me, so I thought, they should work for me too, right? SO WRONG!

I experimented with Lancome's blanc series, Estee Lauder's brown bottle series, Clarins and so on. They were great products, sadly they were somehow too rich for me. Then later on, I started to experiment with BB cream (I'll talk about BB creams and makeup in another post). They seemed to all work well on the first few days of trying out the products, my skin eventually broke out quite badly, requiring laser and chemical treatment together with medicine from the dermatologist. My derm told me I had used too many types of products and masks, thus causing an allergic reaction to chemicals. But eventually, after learning so much more about skincare and makeup during my stay in THEFACESHOP headquarters in Seoul, I learned that good skincare need not be expensive. In fact, many cheap skincare products use similar, if not the same formula as their 'high class' more branded counterparts. 

Through careful experimentation of a single product at a time, I finally managed to stabilize my acne and am now working out fading out scars left by acne and evening out freckled skin tone. 

My current daily skincare routine consists of (Credits of product images to their official product sites)

Step 1: Cleansing [Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash from Origins] & Exfoliating I do this only 1x a week [White Peeling Gel from IASO]


Step 3: Prep skin [Intensive Clear Conditioner from IASO]

Step 4: Toning skin [the Smim Skin Density 101.1 Toner from THEFACESHOP]

Step 5: Blemish/dark spot correcting Essence [Dermatologist Solutions Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Solution from Kiehl's] 
Step 6 : Moisturizing/repairing serum [the Smim Skin Density 101.1 Repair Serum from THEFACESHOP]

Step 7: Drying out blemishes [Super Spot Remover Blemish Treatment Gel from Origins] Only when I get pimples


Step 8: Tightening pores [Pore Tightening Silky Serum from IASO]

Step 9: Moisturizing undereyes [Wrinkle Stop Abyssine Eye Cream from THEFACESHOP for Day, Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado from Kiehl's for Night] Note: I used Abyssine Eye Cream from Kiehl's before switching to THEFACESHOP's because the latter was so much cheaper and works well. I also apply the eyecream in light dots with my ring finger onto the frown lines around my mouth and neck. The lines have faded really well and they do take years off your look. :)
Step 10: Moisturizing skin [the Smim Skin Density 101.1 Emulsion from THEFACESHOP]

Step 11: Sunblock [Natural Sun AQ Oil-cut Sun Cream SPF40 from THEFACESHOP on Face, Natural Sun AQ Cooling Sun Gel on Body]

Seems like a lot, huh? ^^;;

Also, masks are a great pampering treat but limit it to once a week. If you have an important business meeting or a hot date coming up, put on a mask the night before your skincare routine and you should wake up with glowing translucent skin. Choose the moisturizing/regenerating types to be on the safe side. I personally love the Sexydoll masks from SexyLook and also the Sseal Rejuvenating Escargot masks from THEFACESHOP! ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment